Sunday 13 September 2015

Evolution of a Couponer

One of the things I find most interesting about the couponing process, is how your view of prices changes so dramatically. Before coupons, I'd be happy just finding something on sale. For example, my favorite shampoo is Tresemme. It usually runs about $5.99 a bottle. Before I started couponing, I thought $4.99 was a fantastic deal. After I started couponing, I quickly learned that if I waited I could get it on sale for $3.77 or less. Then I found some $1 off coupons, combined them with a sale and got my Tresemme for $2.77.

Another example would be toilet paper. I used to never buy brand name toilet paper because it was too expensive. Once I started couponing I realized just how wrong this perception was! Using the store brand, I'd usually have to use eight-ten sheets per bathroom break. Using the brand name toilet paper, I can cut that down to four-six sheets. Often toilet paper goes on sale for $3.99 and I can usually apply a $1 off coupon. So I'm now getting toilet paper (THE GOOD KIND) for $.13/roll, whereas before I thought it was a great deal to get the store brand for $.17/roll.

Before you start trying to save money, you don't really pay attention to prices. If you see a sale sign, you'd likely be more likely to pick it up, not realizing that if you wait a week or two, you could see a dramatic decrease in the sale price. Even people who don't want to start using coupons could benefit from paying attention to what they are buying.

I never buy anything unless it is a really good sale now. For example:

Meat (hamburger, chicken breast, pork chops, etc.) $1.99/lb
Butter $2.99
Pop (case of 12) $2.99
Bread > $2
Soup > $.60

I save the most money from being attentive while shopping, not from the actual coupons I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment