Tuesday 27 October 2015

Shopper's Optimum

I got a Shopper's Optimum card at the end of August. I currently have almost 70000 Optimum points. That works out to about $150 back on a bonus redemption day. I spent less than $200 on three shopping trips to earn all those points.

How did I do it? By combining sales, coupons, and 20x the points events.

For example, my very first shop at SDM using my Optimum card, I racked up an unthinkable 22680 points. I shocked even myself! I spent $74 after coupons and taxes and got diapers, wipes, vitamins, groceries and cleaning supplies. My total before coupons was more than $100. I also took advantage of the Shoppers Optimum bonus points offered that week, as well as using some printable bonus point coupons.

I just ordered a Shoppers Optimum Mastercard, which will allow me to collect points even faster!  My goal is to become a Plus member by this time next year. (Plus members get a free magazine subscription and tons of special offers!)

To succeed using the Optimum program, you need to follow a few basic rules:

1. Only shop during 20x point events. This will get you the maximum bang for your buck.

2. Always purchase a gift card before you shop. If you need to spend $50 to get your points, buy a $50 card. (You don't get 20x the points for this, but you will get 500 points.) This is only good on a SDM card - you will not get points if you buy any other kind of gift cards.

3. Make a list ahead of time. It is so easy to get swept up in the moment and throw stuff in your cart you don't really need. Check the flyer and match up the really good sales with your coupons.

4. Check for bonus point offers and coupons. Most weeks there will be bonus points on certain products.

I recently took advantage of a fantastic deal. Degree Men's Deodorant was on sale for $1.79. You received 3000 BP every time you bought three. I had $1 off coupons. So I paid $.79/deodorant and earned an additional $4.50 in points. That means they literally paid me to take that deodorant out of the store!

No comments:

Post a Comment